[3dem] PDF position

Howard Young hyoung at ualberta.ca
Mon May 28 14:17:06 PDT 2018

*The Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry,
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta CANADA*

*Position Description: *
The research groups of Drs. Howard Young and Joanne Lemieux at the
University of Alberta seek a highly trained and motivated candidate for a
postdoctoral fellow position. The broad interests of the labs are
in membrane protein structure and function. We combine structural
techniques such as macromolecular crystallography and cryo-EM with
biophysical and biochemical methods such as membrane reconstitution and
biophysical/functional assays to investigate the structural basis of
membrane protein function and dysfunction in human diseases. Some of the
research projects available involve techniques such as micro-electron
diffraction (micro-ED) and cryo-EM of helical assemblies.

The laboratories have state-of-the-art equipment and facilities. For X-ray
crystallography, we access to an in-house MicroMax-007 HF X-ray system from
Rigaku, a Gryphon crystallization robot, and periodic access to the
Canadian Light Source synchrotron facility. My laboratory is also
associated with the Centre for Prions and Protein Folding Diseases, which
houses a Tecnai F20 electron microscope with a Falcon 2 direct electron
detector and Gatan cryo-holders and cryo-transfer systems.

*Qualifications:*
The candidates must hold a Ph. D. degree, be author of at least one first
author publication and have a strong background in biochemistry or
structural biology. Experience with basic molecular biology, protein
expression, purification, and biochemical characterization are required.
Prior experience in membrane protein biochemistry and bacterial/yeast
expression systems for protein purification will be added advantages.

It is essential that the candidate be motivated and driven to achieve
project goals. We promote a supportive team environment, and the ability to
work as part of a cohesive group is important.

*Location: *

Edmonton is located in Alberta, Western Canada near the Canadian Rocky
Mountains. The Canadian Rockies are one of the most beautiful regions of
North America, with numerous opportunities for hiking, camping, fishing,
canoeing, kayaking, and skiing. See the following URLs for additional
information:

http://www.canadianrockies.net/

https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/places-to-go/canadian-rockies/

*To apply:*

Interested candidates can send an e-mail to Howard Young (hyoung at ualberta.ca)
with a CV and a summary of previous research experience and future
interests.

*The University of Alberta is dedicated to equality, diversity, and
inclusion in its training and employment opportunities.*

--
Howard S. Young, PhD
Professor

National Institute for Nanotechnology,