[3dem] Slow connection linux - falcon3 server

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Thu Dec 21 07:38:17 PST 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:19:35AM +0000, benoit.zuber at ana.unibe.ch wrote:
> Dear all
>
> We have a linux workstation connected directly through fiber optics to
> the so-called FEI server, i.e. the computer where Falcon3 saves
> frames, which runs under Windows. Strangely, file transfer from linux
> to windows is fast (600 MB/s) whereas file transfer from windows to
> linux is slow (160 MB/s). We have tried mounting the windows drive on
> linux through cifs or nfs, as well as mounting the linux drive on
> windows through nfs and we always get the same result.

the FEI server is running windows7 ?

windows -> linux  slow
linux -> windows  fast
windows -> windows fast
linux -> linux  fast

how do you mount from the linux machine ?
with CIFS? such as https://access.redhat.com/solutions/448263

Can you try to disable the autotuning on the windows side?
-> netsh interface tcp get global
-> netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3347eddf-e826-409c-972d-9587ac92d9f0/why-is-samba-performance-slow-with-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking
or on the linux side sysctl -w "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0"

Cheers

Tru

--
Dr Tru Huynh | mailto:tru at pasteur.fr | tel/fax +33 1 45 68 87 37/19