[3dem] Philip Ross Smith

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:33:16 PST 2017

Dear Friends

Sorry to hear this sad news.  Ross co-organized the first international
image processing meeting I attended. I still have great memories of that
pioneering event at the Biozentrum in Basel in 1977.
I want to share this picture I took of him at the time.

Thank you Ross,

Marin

On 18/12/2017 19:50, Martin Kessel wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> It is with deep sadness that we announce  the passing away of our
> colleague Philip Ross Smith, who died peacefully in his sleep on
> Saturday Dec. 16, after a protracted battle with cancer.
>
> Ross will be remembered as one of the pioneers of the field of Three
> Dimensional (3D) Electron Microscopy as it came to be known in the
> late 1960’s and 1970’s.  During his early work at the /Biozentrum/ in
> Basel Ross pioneered the development of the image processing software
> package /Micrograph Data Processing Program/ (/MDPP/) which he applied
> to exploring the 3D structural organization of the bacteriophage T4
> capsid and its contractile tail.
>
> In 1978 Ross joined the faculty at the /New York University/ School of
> Medicine where he devoted his career to developing novel computing
> resources for education and research in the life sciences and for
> solving problems in medical informatics.
>
>  A Memorial for Ross is being planned for the near future.
>
> We extend our deepest condolences to Ross’ wife Marjorie and daughters
> Rebecca and Laura.
>
> Ueli Aebi, Andreas Engel, Martin Kessel and Alasdair Steven

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil

     tel:    +55-19-3518-2316
     mobile  +55-19-981809332
                  (041-19-981809332 TIM)
     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
             marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
     Leiden University
     Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     email: m.vanheel(A_T)imperial.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.