[3dem] A good substitute for the Edwards carbon evaporator?

Mariena Silvestry Ramos ms3289 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 11 13:12:22 PST 2017

Dear Yacob,

Our lab bought the GloQube from EMS. We got a good deal and we also installed it with an oil-less pump (scroll pump), different than the one they recommend for the system. It takes a little bit of time to pump down, but our samples are super clean.

This system is used by both bio and mat sci folks use it. Mat sci and physicists have an extremely low tolerance for contamination in their samples, so scroll pumps prevent oil bits from ending up on your grid. One side of the system cleans (the blue side) and the other (red) can be hooked up to anything you'd want to apply to your grids, like an amine or other substrate.

If you're attached to the Edwards one, you could check eBay. I've gotten a couple of things for the lab off of it and prices tend to be pretty decent.

Best,

Mariena