[3dem] PhD studentship at Birkbeck College, London

giulia zanetti g.zanetti at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 02:41:59 PST 2015

Dear colleagues,

a Royal Society funded PhD studentship has become available to work on
cryo-EM/tomography of membrane trafficking proteins, starting in
September 2015.

A major focus of my group is to elucidate the molecular architecture of
the COPII protein coat, and in particular its regulation in the context
of transport of large cargoes.To this end we use a combination of
biochemistry and cryo-electron microscopy, from single particle analysis
to cryo-tomography and sub-tomogram averaging.

My lab is part of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology,
Birkbeck College, London. The EM research labs at Birkbeck College
constitute a vibrant community that enjoys access to world class
equipment,including an F20 with a DE20 direct electron detector, and a
Polara with a DE20 and a Gatan K2 detectors.

I am looking for a motivated student, who will learn to express and
purify mammalian proteins using various expression systems, perform
membrane budding reactions and gain experience in cryo-EM sample
preparation, data collection and processing. Experience in protein
biochemistry and/or structural biology would be desirable.

Interested applicants are encouraged to contact me for an informal
discussion and should use the link below to submit their application
(deadline 26th March 2015).

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/biology/study-here/studentships/royal-society-studentship

Thank you!

Giulia