[3dem] Transparency and Data Availability

Edward Egelman egelman at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 25 12:00:11 PDT 2015

Hi,
   At the 3DEM GRC that is still in progress, the following statement
was adopted by unanimous agreement of the entire meeting after an /ad
hoc/ afternoon workshop was held on reproducibility and data accessibility:

As a community of researchers using cryo-EM to understand biological
systems, we support moves to make science more transparent and to assess
data quality at the time of peer review. For manuscripts reporting
cryo-EM density maps and fitted coordinates, we urge journals to
encourage authors to either include maps and coordinates with the
submission or to include a movie that shows an interactive session
describing the map and the fit of the model in sufficient detail. We
also call upon journals to require that the images and relevant metadata
needed to reproduce a published reconstruction be made available upon
reasonable request following publication.

We are communicating this statement to journals and funding agencies,
and we hope that those who are not the meeting find themselves in
support of it!
Regards,
Ed

--