[3dem] Calcium free filter paper

Hiroshi Imai H.Imai at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 06:07:05 PDT 2014

Dear Jing

Muscle thin filaments are sensitive to calcium.
Here at University of Leeds, everyone uses ashless filter paper by following Dr. Howard White, who found that his muscle thin filaments were getting switched to the on-state by calcium in the filter paper.
You can find ashless filter paper by google search with key words, "Whatman ashless filter paper".
For example, I have used Whatman grade no.43 (ashleess filter paper) for my experiment.
The rate of water absorption differs between filter paper grades, so you may need to re-determine blotting time for a new filter paper.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.
Best wishes,
Hiroshi
Research Fellow,  Dr. Stan Burgess' and Prof. Peter
Knight's lab, Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular
Biology, and School of Molecular and Cellular Biology,
University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom