[3dem] Layer of Solid Ethane on Cryo Plunge Grids

YY YY rongchigram79 at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Oct 9 09:01:16 PDT 2014

Dear All, i would like to hear from you on advices about the layer of solid ethane formed on the cryo-plunge grids. I read on the past discussions that the thin layer of solid ethane can be useful in protecting the vitrified ice on the grid. I am currently using Gatan Cryoplunge 3. After the grid is plunged and transferred (and if it isn't blotted it to remove the excess ethane), a thin layer of solid ethane is formed when i transferred it to the grid box submerged in the LN2. However, quite often, the tweezer got stuck to the grids and when i tried to detact it, the layer of solid ethane got detacted from the grid as well.

May i ask if anyone have systematically studied the effect of such detachment and its impact on the quality of the vitrified ice? I wonder if there is tearing action of the solid ethane from the grid and might damage (or pull out the layer of the vitrified ice as well) the sample?

Best Regards,
Yee Yan, Tay
FACTS Lab
Nanyang Technological University