[3dem] Arginine and virus clump

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Thu May 22 11:53:25 PDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Eduardo Sanz-Garcia wrote:

> I was wondering if that reagent would affect negatively our cryo
> (like for example glucose).

Dear Eduardo,
	What effect the arginine will have on cryo specimens depends on its
concentration.  Glucose used as a cryoprotectant is in the tens of
percent concentration range, and carbohydrate-containing granules,
which bubble before the rest of a cell, are even more concentrated.
If you use ~50 mM arginine, you will be far below these
concentrations, so there should not be too significant an effect.  I
have not tested this, so I'm just guessing.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist
Electron Cryo-Microscopy Facility