[3DEM] Question about Thon rings

Shi, Dan (NIH/NCI) [C] shid at mail.nih.gov
Fri Jan 26 06:33:11 PST 2007

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear Eduardo,
Besides the differences of EM settings for film and CCD camera mentioned
by Drs Tivol and Rachel, CCD camera may be better detector than film
except the resolution limitation by pixel size for following reasons.
a) One can set CCD dynamic rang to fit the dosage, which would optimize
the linear range, the DQE and PSF are two factors to determine your CCD
quality, and film's may depend on grain sizes and developer.
b) The Thon rings from film image need to be either digitized with
scanner or diffracted by laser diffract-meter, in which fog levels of
films would be induced into digitized images or diffractions as
background noise, and the Thon rings from dark current subtracted CCD
image is directly from FFT. This would be even more important for film
at low dose situation because of low signal level.
c) If you have an old style of film holder (solid back), the
backscattering electrons would add more noise to the image.

You may want to synchronize imaging conditions for both CCD and film as
Bill and Reinhard suggested, and another few conditions you also could
try with thin carbon film, different HT(such as 120 kv and 200 kv),
series magnifications(x39k to x110k) and series dosage. If the Thon
rings of the CCD camera always reach the edge of the FFT frame, it may
mean you are very lucky to have an excellent CCD camera with very good
DQE and small PSF. Good luck,

Regards,

Dan Shi, PhD
Contract researcher of Aerotek Co on LCB/NCI/NIH