[3dem] 4k x 4k cameras

Paul Chipman paulrc at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Fri Dec 14 11:23:18 PST 2007

Hi Eva,

We have both a Tietz F415 (4Kx4K) camera and a Gatan 4Kx4K (US4000SP)
camera.  The Tietz camera is on axis and was originally purchased
without a "TV rate" secondary camera for real time imaging/searching
the sample.  We had hoped to be able to bin average to permit a quick
enough readout from the 4K camera.  It was possible but we were not
real happy and purchased an F114NX to go with it after about a year
of use.  This TV rate system has extremely quick read out speeds and
excellent contrast.  I like it better than the 622SC image
intensifier we use with the Gatan system but Gatan likely has
upgraded from this TV rate camera in the 8 years since our purchase.

As for the actual 4K cameras, both perform equally well but the Tietz
is quite a bit quicker in readout speed (our Gatan 4K is single port)
Each have required at least one major repair requiring the instrument
be shipped off.  Both took several weeks for repair.  Tietz did not
charge but the repair was also needed after only about a year of use.
We've had it around 2.5 years.  The Gatan has needed a couple repairs
during the 8 year period so I would say they are similar in
durability.  I'm not a big fan of having to slide the Gatan camera in
and out of the beam path (the tv rate camera is also on axis) as this
occasionally needs adjustment for no apparent reasons and also causes
any dust that may have fallen onto the scintillator to move slightly,
requiring a new flat field to be acquired.  I can't really comment on
the quality of image from each as we are still predominately using
film.  The Tietz may be slightly more stable (temperature?) as we do
not need to collect flat fields as often with the Tietz (unrelated to
the dust issue above).

We purchased the Tietz because of its compatibility with our older
(CM300 model) scope and available tomography.  At the time it looked
like our only solution.  I've been happy with it as it produced as
advertised.  Tietz (TVIPS) is also still quite small and one can get
someone on the phone to help trouble shoot quite quickly.  We plan on
purchasing the tomography package from Gatan for our other scope, now
that it is available.

Both Digital Micrograph and EMMenu have quirks and things we like,
dislike.  I think EMMenu takes a little more work to learn and one
can overwrite data if not careful.  We've refrained from upgrading to
version 4.0 until the tomography application was proven (Anyone from
Ken Taylor's lab have input???).  The only negative against the Tietz
system is that we've had some instances, after tomography sessions,
where our microscope alignments are messed up (image shifts in
particular).  I haven't been able to solve the problem or predict
when it will occur as it is quite infrequent.  I can't even be sure
it is the cause but do suspect the tomography software.  Still, I'm
quite happy with it overall and it did give us tomography
capabilities several years ahead of where we would be otherwise.

Best Wishes,
Paul Chipman

>Dear all,
>
>We are considering the purchase of a 4k x 4k camera and would like
>to hear from the field how the different models/companies are doing
>in your own experience. All comments would be most appreciated!
>
>Eva Nogales
>--
>
>Eva Nogales
>Howard Hughes Medical Institute
>Molecular and Cell Biology Department
>QB3, Stanley Hall 708C
>University of California, Berkeley
>Berkeley, CA 94720-3220
>
>Phone: (510) 642-0557		Fax: (510) 666-3336
>(510) 666-3334		Teresa Tucker, Assistant to Eva Nogales
>
>Professor, UC Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley Natl. Lab

Paul Chipman
Director, Electron Microscopy Facility
Project Leader, Structural Virology EM Studies
Dept. of Biology, Purdue University
Lilly Hall, Rm. B216
Phone: 765-494-1487
Fax:765-496-1189