X11 reconstruction programs under Mac OS X

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:38:11 PDT 2004

I have installed a number of reconstruction programs under Mac OS X
using the native X11 windows (XFree86 4.3.0). There is a peculiar
problem that appears when I run certain programs, including EMAN
(which uses the QT toolkit) and SPADE (which uses the FLTK toolkit):
when the program starts, the appropriate graphics window pops up, but
it appears UNDER the Xterm window. Clicking on it does not bring it
to the front. It is impossible to enter text and numbers into the
boxes in the windows, but clicking on buttons results in the correct
response. The problem does not appear with CCP4i or BSOFT (which use
the TCL/TK toolkit).

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

Has anybody successfully installed EMAN for Mac OS X?

Any suggestions or advice (other than to get a Linux box (which I
will)!) would be greatly appreciated.

Terje
--
Terje Dokland, Ph.D.