New post-workshop EMAN release

Steven Ludtke stevel at blake.3dem.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 8 20:53:44 PST 2003

The NCMI is happy to announce the availability of EMAN v1.30 (45). Thanks
to everyone who came to the Single Particle workshop in December and
helped us to debug this new version. I'm sending this to a couple of
lists, so I apologize to those of you who see it more than once.

http://ncmi.bcm.tmc.edu/~stevel/EMAN/doc
http://ncmi.bcm.tmc.edu/ncmi/software/software_details?selected_software=eman

This version of EMAN finally offers a frequently requested feature ...
scripting. Rather than design an entirely new scripting language, the EMAN
library has been adapted to act as a Python module. Python is a very
powerful, yet easy-to-learn scripting language that has gained much
popularity in scientific circles in recent years (particularly
visualization). This is the first version of scripting support, so things
will undoubtedly improve and change over the coming year, but we already
offer access to about 95% of EMAN's powerful image processing library.
Don't worry, the easy-to-use high level programs are still the standard
way to do a reconstruction, but now more advanced users have more
flexibility.

There were a few more important changes :

This version fixes the long-standing (but recently discovered) Spider
stackfile writing bug.

A new GUI program for viewing 2D and 3D images, 'v2' has also been added

The binaries for vis5d have been included again.

a new package optimized for the AMD Athlon processor. On Athlon boxes,
this version can provide speed improvements of over 30% ! This gives the
Athlon a substantial speed advantage over P4 based systems (it was
already in the lead for EMAN). This version is only available for MDK 9.0
or RH 8.0 linux, however.

Lots of minor bugfixes and subtle enchancements.

Enjoy...

PS - Please send the inevitable bug reports to me   :^)
Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |               Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-6989                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
instant messenger: sludtke42    |            * Those who do ARE *
http://ncmi.bcm.tmc.edu/~stevel |           The converse also holds

with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list