Post-doctoral Postions in Optical and Cryoelectron Image Analysis

Shahid Khan KhanSM at mail.upstate.edu
Thu Mar 1 15:30:18 PST 2001

			POST-DOCTORAL POSITIONS

	NIH and NSF-funded post-doctoral positions are available for
research on the rotary bacterial flagellar motor. We want to understand its
energy coupling mechanism and switching of rotation sense by chemotactic
signals. We employ computer-assisted motion analysis and kinetic modeling
to study excitation responses of Escherichia coli to photo-release of caged
chemoeffectors. Modulation of protein-protein interactions during signal
transduction is probed by optical microscopy of living E.coli expressing
green fluorescent protein (gfp) chemotaxis protein fusions Interactions of
overproduced rotor complexes with stator elements and chemotaxis signal
proteins obtained by co-expression of the cloned genes are under study by
cryoelectron and optical microscopy (see Jasuja, R., Yu-Lin, Trentham,
D.R., & Khan, S.1999. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 96,11346-11351. Lux, R., Kar,
N., & Khan, S. 2000.  J. Mol. Biol. 298,577-584. Khan, S., Pierce, D., &
Vale, R.D. 2000. Current Biology. 10,927-930). Our laboratory has just
moved to the Biochemistry Department @ SUNY Upstate. It has a state of the
art laser & optical microscopy laboratory, excellent facilities for light &
electron microscope image analysis, a well-equipped wet laboratory and
close links with cryoelectron microscopy groups in New York State. The
laboratory is part of a structural biology initiative in the greater
Syracuse area involving over 20 groups. The Department has particular
strength in rotary motor research. Applicants should have expertise in
molecular biology and/or electron microscopy and/or image analysis. Salary
dependent upon experience.

Contact:
Dr Shahid Khan
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
SUNY Upstate Medical University.
4295 WHA, 750 E. Adams Street. Syracuse, NY 13210.
Tel: (315)464-8729.
Fax: (315)464-8750
E-mail: khansm at mail.upstate.edu

Dr Shahid Khan.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.
SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Rm 4295 Weiskotten Hall Addition
750 East Adams Street, Syracuse. NY 13210.
Tel: (315)464-8729
Fax: (315)464-8750
E-mail: khansm at mail.upstate.edu

with the words
unsubscribe 3dem
in the body of the message.
Do not send unsubscribe messages to the entire list