[3dem] B-factors

Alexis Rohou a.rohou at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:45:20 PST 2024

Dear Henning,

I for one hadn't picked up on this discrepancy until you pointed it out. I
had assumed that all ResLog plots always used Å^2 units. To my mind this is
the only dimensionality that makes sense if we're going to use the "B
factor" concept and wording (in analogy to temperature factors) to describe
incoherent averaging in our reconstructions. I would have thought we'd
always want to give B factors in units of Å^2, following the logic outlined
in R&H2003.

Perhaps Scott and/or co-authors could comment as to why they moved from Å^2
to Å.

Cheers,
Alexis

PS. My understanding of this topic is summarized in section 4.7 of this
2021 book <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://iopscience.iop.org/book/edit/978-0-7503-3039-8__;!!Mih3wA!EInZgiJTGjny9OeUYvfegswag6cL2aI9L5BOih5sIGlIEB17fQvaYylR2PG7ZLpVAOQHO6FMdGAZKrb0iw$ >. I
regret that I didn't notice this discrepancy in the units at the time of
writing - my text makes the assumption that all ResLog plots use 1/Å^2.
Despite this omission, readers who are not familiar with the topic in
question may still find it a useful introduction. I'd be happy to share
preprints if you do not have access to the final publication.