[3dem] [EXTERNAL] Re: [ccpem] Differences EM CP maps vs Xray ED Maps

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 15 10:57:07 PST 2023

Dear Joachim

I have never mentioned any "element-specific spectral distribution of the
amplitude contrast" in my 1978 work. Please don't put words in my mouth.
My 1978 paper was on the real and the imaginary part of the complex
transmission function of the object in partially coherent illumination and
applies to optical microscopy as much as it does to electron microscopy.
Any "element-specific spectral distribution" is primarily relevant in
electron microscopy. My 1978 paper is based on a convolution with the size
of the source in the back focal plane, and not on an envelope function
(Frank 1973), which is an incorrect approach.

Two more cents,

Marin