[3dem] microscope installation

Tim Gruene tim.gruene at univie.ac.at
Thu Jun 29 11:18:36 PDT 2023

Hi David,

We have a 10kW air-cooled chiller by van-der-Heijden. That company was
recommended to me from several sides, and I am very happy with the
instrument. It is very low maintenance, and it has been reliable even
at 40C, which are quite common in Vienna during summer time. The
chiller stands in the corridor just outside the TEM room, where
aeration is quite poor.

Cheers,
Tim

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:42:41 +0000 "Morgan, David Gene"
<dagmorga at indiana.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are installing a new high-end instrument here and the issue of
> whether to use an air- or water-cooled chiller has arisen.  I've
> always been in favor of water-cooled chillers and at least some of
> the places where I have worked did not have the capacity to remove
> the excess heat that an air-cooled chiller would generate.  For this
> install, we appear to have a choice.
>
> Is there a general consensus about which is better?
>
> --
>     politics is more difficult than physics.
>                                              A. Einstein
>
>             David Gene Morgan
>         Electron Microscopy Center
>              047E Simon Hall
>              IU Bloomington
>           812 856 1457 (office)
>           812 856 3221 (3200)
>       https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://iubemcenter.indiana.edu__;!!Mih3wA!CuOKr9o304g6m7JkRF5uD61xxvY7tZFDbnhDyj5_kZDUhVD69ePDxEenKiN6JG2XsnmwnJPciI-4dBj7Rxnb64U$

Tim Gruene
Head of the Centre for X-ray Structure Analysis
Faculty of Chemistry
University of Vienna

Phone: +43-1-4277-70202

GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A