[3dem] 4D STEM development for Cryo-EM in Life Sciences: PostDoc or Senior Scientist position available

Stahlberg Henning henning.stahlberg at epfl.ch
Wed Jun 7 02:54:58 PDT 2023

We are looking for a PostDoc or Senior Scientist to join our team to explore new approaches in diffractive imaging for high-resolution cryo-EM.

The low signal-to-noise ratio in cryo-EM is limiting its performance. We explore diffractive electron imaging technologies such as Ptychography and other 4D STEM variants to improve resolution and contrast in cryo-EM. For this, we develop novel approaches using a 300kV Titan Krios equipped with a cold-FEG, an RF cavity for GHz beam pulsing, a Cs probe corrector, the usual autoloader and Falcon4i, and followed by energy filtration and super-fast hybrid pixel electron detection.

Your profile :
Candidates should have experience in electron microscopy and be open to venture into the development of new technology at the level of hardware, EM operation, and online data processing.

We offer :
The EPFL ranks among the world’s top scientific universities. We are located in Lausanne in Switzerland, a beautiful, vibrant and highly international city on the shores of the scenic Lake Geneva, situated within an Alpine setting in the heart of Europe. English is the main language at the EPFL and in our laboratory, while Lausanne is in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. The position comes with a competitive salary. EPFL is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.

The successful candidate will join a vibrant, collaborative, international, and diverse research team with interdisciplinary expertise in biology, physics, computer science and engineering. The focus of research at our Laboratory of Biological Electron Microscopy (LBEM) in the physics department of the EPFL is on neurodegeneration and method development in cryo-EM. We enjoy unique state-of-the-art instrumentation.

More information about our research group can be found at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lbem.ch__;!!Mih3wA!D-ORujpYZp4Fwfs_fGEKFdT0E4NgeLbdVDsKqyFxzUfMYYb433cFMXTdf7yeHrc4yJLfMQc9UFt819vG5tCOwSuw3bDTAhs$

The position is available immediately, funding is available, and the start date is flexible.
Applications should include PDF documents with a Cover letter, a CV, and the contact information of references.

For questions or additional information, please contact Henning Stahlberg at henning.stahlberg at epfl.ch<mailto:henning.stahlberg at epfl.ch>

Henning Stahlberg
Laboratory of Biological Electron Microscopy
Institute of Physics, School of Basic Sciences, EPFL, and
Dep. of Fund. Microbiology, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, UNIL,
Cubotron, BSP421, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
lbem.ch<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lbem.ch/__;!!Mih3wA!D-ORujpYZp4Fwfs_fGEKFdT0E4NgeLbdVDsKqyFxzUfMYYb433cFMXTdf7yeHrc4yJLfMQc9UFt819vG5tCOwSuwbFJ9PTc$ >, +41 21 693 45 07
[signature_1602288768]