[3dem] Exciting Postdoctoral Opportunity at the Landau Group ‘Lethal Fibrils’, DESY, Hamburg

Meytal Landau meytal.landau at cssb-hamburg.de
Fri Jul 14 06:30:28 PDT 2023

Dear EMists,

We're excited to announce a full-time postdoctoral position in the 'Virulent and Antimicrobial Amyloids' group, led by Prof. Meytal Landau, located at the CSSB <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cssb-hamburg.de/__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLeTY1OrIg$ >, Center for Structural Systems Biology, in the dynamic DESY Science Campus in Hamburg-Bahrenfeld. This project is generously funded by Helmholtz, ERC CoG, and the Cure Alzheimer’s Fund.

Our project, benefiting from state-of-the-art facilities at the CSSB <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cssb-hamburg.de/facilities/index_eng.html__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLdNywCMtw$ >, delves into the structures and mechanisms of functional amyloids in vitro, in cells and in situ. We focus on the virulence and antibacterial properties of protein fibrils in infectious and neurodegenerative diseases, using advanced research methods like cryoEM reconstruction and tomography, X-ray crystallography, and correlative light and electron microscopy. We will study toxicity mechanisms of fibrils on bacteria and mammalian cells, within microbial biofilms and in infected brains.

Learn more about our research and publications at the CSSB DESY lab <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cssb-hamburg.de/research/research_groups/landau_group/index_eng.html__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLfpZs-X5g$ > and Technion lab <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mlandau.net.technion.ac.il/__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLclNQ8bJA$ > websites.

Your Role:
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with a passion for multidisciplinary research and a keen interest in biomedicine, drug development, and nanotechnology. As a key member of our team, you will lead projects, design and conduct experiments, mentor students, and engage in collaborations. You will spearhead the development of high-resolution imaging of amyloid toxicity processes in cells, brains, and biofilms.

Your Qualifications:
·      A Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, physics, biomaterials, biotechnological and biomedical sciences and engineering, or related fields.

·      A strong background in structural biology and biophysics. Several years of experience in cryoEM/ET/CLEM is advantageous.

·      Published work in international peer-reviewed journals.

Why Join Us?
At CSSB, you will be part of a collaborative environment where multiple partner institutes converge for cutting-edge research. By joining Prof. Meytal Landau's group, you will also have the opportunity to shape the group's social structures and contribute to an innovative and dynamic team.

Contact
If you are interested, please send your CV and Cover letter to meytal.landau at cssb-hamburg.de <mailto:meytal.landau at cssb-hamburg.de> by August 3rd, 2023.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Meytal

Meytal Landau, Ph.D.
Professor, CSSB,DESY, and UKE,  Hamburg, Germany
Visiting Group Leader , EMBL Hamburg
Associate Professor, Faculty of Biology, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
www: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mlandau.net.technion.ac.il/__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLeOHwZuCQ$   ; https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cssb-hamburg.de/research/research_groups/landau_group/index_eng.html__;!!Mih3wA!A9WI9kP-yIh6FbtbXJ2QnpCePijV6hb2xuUnf9IBVEzP5S8ltlKM-CAroGaJiis-QtS4VZGtVpkgcARemVOe8U_pYLfpZs-X5g$