[3dem] Fwd: in memoriam of Raimond Ravelli

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 7 01:28:40 PDT 2023

Dear electron microscopists,

Forwarding this intensely sad message from Tassos Perakis on the ccp4
bulletin board, as some of you will have also known Raimond. Raimond was
a brilliant and kind scientist and a dear friend. He will be sorely missed.

Sjors

It is with profound sadness I announce the passing of Raimond Ravelli,
one of most remarkable and beloved members of our scientific community.

Raimond first became widely known to the crystallographic community with
his brilliant “strategy” program in the 90’s, which he developed as part
of his PhD thesis. Later on, at the EMBL Grenoble and the ESRF, Raimond
has been instrumental in the development of the ID14-EH4 beamline,
having helped numerous colleagues to collect diffraction data and
participating in many exciting scientific projects. At that time,
Raimond also developed his keen interest in radiation damage, that
influenced the ways that we collect and process X-ray diffraction data
even today. Raimond came back to his home country, the Netherlands,
first as an assistant professor at Leiden University, and then as
associate professor at Maastricht University. During that transition he
become an expert in cryo-electron microscopy. He made numerous
contributions also to his new field, in such a broad spectrum of
techniques, that it would be embarrassing to attempt to enumerate them
here. I will only mention that one piece of his work even became a
museum exhibit at the Leiden museum of natural history.

Raimond has been recently appointed Full Professor of Structural
Biology, at Maastricht University, last November. His inauguration
speech (Oratie) was simply remarkable. I warmly recommend to anyone to
watch it at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/Gv3pKRp5S2Y?t=667__;!!Mih3wA!Gp0g_H93AMkpB8zP3yM3aSzSO6ZWGdPnQk8SGuZIQxwmgPu3f9suMdcw1wIUKYTqtWvSNico9ZzZKFBd8cP4lPRe_6E$  . It radiates his
enthusiasm for science and is inspiring for all, in a way that only he
himself knew how to do.

Raimond was an accomplished rowing athlete, a formidable cyclist, and a
hiking enthusiast.

For the many of us who have been his friends it has a been a privilege
and an inspiration. Raimond, just 55, leaves behind him Maaike, an
excellent scientist and colleague herself, and their kids Seppe and Noé.

I have no words that could possibly explain how much he will be missed.