[3dem] A strong density in the cryo-EM map

Dr. Alexander Belyy alexander.belyy at mpi-dortmund.mpg.de
Tue Jan 17 09:09:20 PST 2023

Dear colleagues,

I would like to thank you all for all the useful suggestions.

We tried to do an elemental analysis with ICP-MS, but it only gave 1 molecule of zinc for 2 molecules of our protein. We will repeat the experiment.

I have checked several cryo-EM models with IP6. Indeed, it has a similar size and coordination, but IP6 is rather flat, while our mysterious density is more pyramidal and hollow inside.

Unfortunately, the AlphaFill prediction did not yield any hits.

The UV-Vis and excitation spectra showed no special peaks. I will return to this if I manage to obtain a mystery density-free protein mutant to serve as a control.

Chelating with EDTA or EGTA did not change the shape of the protein in negative stain EM and had no effect on thermal stability. We have not yet attempted to obtain a cryo-EM reconstruction in the presence of a chelating agent.

The ideas of trying a machine learning algorithm https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academic.oup.com/bioinformatics/article/35/3/452/5055122__;!!Mih3wA!AD8wSs8q6Z4d2pqYrsiwQvK5U9Wk0rdzkI5860HuWPp7Ke9rq6k1gOdNg_R-9A_jEpZoC1bFkT1rtDoz3VoYLGDTpMGSm65fqfarp880$  and checking if the mass is radiation resistant were very good. I will give it a try.

The protein was purified from E. coli.

Many thanks to all of you!

Best regards,
Alexander