[3dem] Masked 3D classification job without alignment to classify promoters of a trimeric protein in different conformations

Basil Greber basilgreber at gmx.net
Sun Jan 8 05:06:55 PST 2023

I am not sure your symmetry expansion will do what you want when starting from a C1 refinement (unless you made sure your reference map is perfectly aligned with the symmetry axis). If you want to do symmetry expansion, you may need a C3 refinement.

That said, if your C1 refinement can distinguish the two conformations, you probably don’t need symmetry expansion in the first place. Just run 3 classifications with the mask in each protomer position to classify each position. Given your description, this is probably the better approach.

Good luck,

Basil