[3dem] Graphene Oxide grids hydrophobic

Ozcan, Kadir Ali kozcan at purdue.edu
Fri Dec 8 12:02:44 PST 2023

Hello Dario,

It is natural for GO grids to be hydrophobic despite GO's hydrophilic functional group content. As you and others have suggested, a short glow discharge can render grids hydrophilic however may potentially damage the GO layer. A safer way to render grids hydrophilic is exposing them to ozone. Our lab uses a cheap ozone generator we purchased on Amazon, the product name is "Aqua-6, 120 mg/hour Water Ozone Generator" from the A2Z Ozone Store (no affiliation). Place your grids in a petri dish or other small container with the ozone output source close to the grids for 15-60 minutes. You can empirically determine the optimal time for your grids and assess hydrophilicity by adding water/buffer. In my experience 30 minutes is typically long enough. Additionally, adding a UV light source directed towards the grids in tandem with ozone may improve hydrophilicity. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Kadir Ozcan
PhD Candidate at Purdue University
Wen Jiang Lab