[3dem] [ccpem] advice hardware for cryo-EM data processing

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 5 03:46:15 PST 2023

Dear Dave

We have already converted all our cryo-EM software to 64 bits FP more than
a decade ago.
The reason is simple: if you have a dataset consisting of say 1.000 images
of 512x512 pixels and you would like to calculate the average density of
the pixels in that data set that requires 9 significant digits. In 32 bits
floating point only 6-7 significant digits are available...
Another example: The 3D FFT of an 800x800x800(=512.000.000) voxel 3D
reconstruction will again require more than 9 significant digits. The
tricky thing is that the floating-point underflows are rounded off to "0"
and the users don't necessarily notice that the results are flawed.
More recently we have also implemented the double-precision FP also as an
official IMAGIC disk format, although all FP calculations were already in
64bit FP for more than a decade.
Cheers
Marin

Van Heel, M., Portugal, R., Rohou, A., Linnemayr, C., Bebeacua, C.,
Schmidt, R., Grant, T. & Schatz, M. (2012). Four-dimensional cryo-electron
microscopy at quasi-atomic resolution: *IMAGIC 4D*. *International Tables
for Crystallography*. *Vol. F, Chapter** 19.9,* 624–628.