[3dem] Calling all groups who use cryogen mix from Linde-Gas (Germany, maybe Austria, Switzerland?) for plunging

Cazey, Cornelia cornelia.cazey at cssb-hamburg.de
Thu Apr 20 06:51:52 PDT 2023

Dear list participants,

Our lab is in Germany, and this is a very particular question relating to a German supplier, so apologies for addressing the entire list, but it seemed the easiest way to find groups who may be able to help.

We recently learned that Linde-Gas, our supplier for the cryogen mix we use in our facility (37% ethane, rest propane) is no longer able to supply this mixture due to the overall difficulties in the production, age and poor state of their necessary equipment.

I spoke with the supplier yesterday and while they would like to continue to offer the mix, they feel there is not enough market to make it feasible. I am now looking for info from groups who are using a cryogen mix rather than pure ethane for plunging (I am not sure, but relatively convinced that the process would be the same for any kind of mixture, so I guess the exact percentages won't matter too much) and have previously sourced this from Linde-Gas, and might be or have already been affected by this decision. If you have been affected, did you find a solution, a different supplier or any other alternative you are willing to share? Or if you didn't yet know, how much would this news affect your ability to work, and would you be interested to try and convince Linde-Gas to keep going? I understand the production line has already been shut down, but could be revived with enough interest, however, it may also come with a price increase (what doesn't).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether info on alternatives or willingness to push for the supply. I am happy to collect replies to send to the Linde-Gas representative in bulk or, of course, for those who prefer to contact him directly, do so themselves and increase the pressure to keep going/restart production.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best wishes,

Cornelia Cazey

Cornelia Cazey (She/Her)
Cryo-EM Facility
Centre for Structural Systems Biology (CSSB)
c/o DESY, Building 15
Notkestr. 85
22607 Hamburg
Germany

phone: +49-(0)40-8998-87706
email: cornelia.cazey at cssb-hamburg.de

"If you don't know it's impossible, it's easier to do" -Neil Gaiman

Sometimes I may send emails outside of core working hours. I do not expect you to read, or respond outside of your own working hours!