[3dem] 3D printing for Clipping station

Farzad farzaad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 15:06:22 PDT 2023

Dear Robert,

First of all, I am not sure if 3D printing works fine and if the part
survives for a long time in harsh thermal cycling between LN2 and room
temperatures, especially with normal filaments injection (FDM) 3D printers.

Anyways, as a materials scientist (formerly an expert in materials
selection and now working as a cryoEM lab manager), I would definitely
suggest using polyamide (Nylon) filaments for printing cryogenic parts in
FDM printers. Normal PLA and ABS filaments won't work.

If you like to have the base in its original shape, I would suggest
ordering it to a machining shop instead of printing it. The recommend
materials are POM, PA or PC.

On the other hand, why do you want to make it entirely? If the metal parts
are still fine, you need just a base to hold it. You can fit the metal
mechanism and the fabricated base in any foam compartment like cheap
styrofoam boxes of an appropriate size. We use a primitive white foam box
for loading our JEOL for ages... In this case, you could mill that part out
of polyacetal (aka POM or polyoxymethylene or under the commercial name of
Delrin) which is the cheapest option for a polymer at LN2 service. I guess
the original box is also made of PIM.  I would recommend polyamide, though.

Best regards,

Dr. Farzad Hamdi,
Scientist Fellow at AG Kastritis
MLU, Halle