[3dem] Relion Polishing with EER-movies containing varying frames and fractions

Takanori Nakane tnakane.protein at osaka-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 3 06:22:03 PDT 2023

Hi,

 > Therefore, each subset has a different amount of EER fractions ( in the range of 600 – 1200 fractions).

Did you run 10 motion correction jobs with different EER groupings and
then join micrograph STAR files?

 > Is this a bug in relion?

Probably yes. The program should read EER grouping for every movie but
somehow this is not working.

 > How can I overcome this?
 >
 > Is the only way to first make movies with 50 frames from each subset and not work on the original EERs anymore? I processed fine to about 4 Angstroem
 > without doing so, is it really necessary just for polishing to now make 50 frame movies, or work on each subset separately? (As far as I understand
 > relion, it does not have a GUI-function to generate 50 frame movies from EER data, but it has a command-line function to do so, am I right?

Run Polish with the same run_data.star and postprocess.star but with
each micrograph STAR files BEFORE joining.
Polish with process only particles on the given micrographs.
Thus, after a chain of 10 Polish jobs, all particles will be polished.

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane