[3dem] ACS Structural Biology Symposium

Dylan Murray dylan.thomas.murray at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:02:45 PDT 2022

Dear Friends:

We invite group leaders, graduate students, and postdocs to join us for a
symposium at the 2022 ACS National Meeting, this March 26-30, 2022. Our
symposium is titled “Frontiers of Structural Biology in Complex
Environments” and is intended to bring together experts in experimental and
computational approaches to biomolecular structure to discuss contemporary
challenges and solutions in the field.

*The abstract deadline is October 17, 2022, less than a month away.* The
symposium description is at the end of this message. and the link is below.
We have plenty of space for promoted talks. Please forward this to anyone
you feel may be interested. We look forward to seeing you at the meeting!

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/meetings/acs-meetings/spring-2023/presenters/submit-an-abstract.html__;!!Mih3wA!GI9UalbykXsOmDisp3eYGHzfSQfP3QHAfTeVIVrtKNTg_U0wnu_mWt-TXgFkZKGBVf_lhBToUiWpHiapNH3QChyxP0PBbw$

*Please be sure to select the symposium “Frontiers of Structural Biology in
Complex Environments” from the Division of Physical Chemistry (PHYS) to
make sure your abstract is routed to our symposium.*

Many Thanks,
Dylan

On behalf of the organizing committee:
*Matthew Eddy, **University of Florida*, matthew.eddy at chem.ufl.edu

*Kendra Frederick*, *University of Texas Southwestern*,
kendra.frederick at utsouthwestern.edu

*Dylan T. Murray*, *University of California, Davis*, dtmurray at ucdavis.edu

*Frontiers of Structural Biology in Complex Environments*

Decades of careful experimentation and analysis by biophysical chemists
have formed a foundation for contemporary scientists to understand the
structure and function of proteins in the incredibly complex environments
of living organisms. Recent advances in experimental and computational
approaches have made it possible to describe and predict the structure,
dynamics, and interactions of biomolecular assemblies in complex
environments in vitro, in situ, in cells, and in the extracellular
environment. Despite these exciting advances, many challenges remain in
integrating techniques and approaches that span multiple time and length
scales, and in understanding how atomic level changes drive functional
biological outputs in the cellular environment. The symposium will bring
together experimentalists and theorists who apply cutting-edge methods to
determine the structure of biomolecules at or near atomic level precision
in such environments. Speakers will discuss recent progress in the field
and future challenges in the areas (1) atomic resolution studies of large
complexes, (2) biomolecular condensation, (3) in situ studies in cell and
cell-like environments, (4) in vitro cellular environments, and (5)
biophysical experiments in multi-cellular environments.

Dylan T. Murray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
University of California, Davis