[3dem] insulation for liquid nitrogen pipes?

Morgan, David Gene dagmorga at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 14 09:44:52 PDT 2022

Hi,

Does anyone have a good source for foam (or similar material) insulation to wrap around pipes and hoses that carry liquid nitrogen.  We got some through the university group that handles building care, but it tends to become very brittle when it is cold.  It definitely insulates reasonably well, but if you move the insulated line, the insulation cracks and is beginning to fall apart.

This is completely different behavior from, for example, the insulation covering the hose that feeds liquid nitrogen into our Arctica.  I haven't been able to determine what is used on the Arctica, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

--
    politics is more difficult than physics.
                                             A. Einstein

            David Gene Morgan
        Electron Microscopy Center
             047E Simon Hall