[3dem] Open postdoctoral fellowship in computational approaches in cryo-ET

Freyberg, Zachary Z freyberg at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 27 18:20:59 PDT 2022

Hi everyone,

We are seeking talented, highly motivated candidates for a fully funded position to develop a software pipeline to study cellular macromolecular complexes using in situ cryo-electron tomography in the Freyberg laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh.
Our team studies the structure and function of the macromolecular machinery required for cell plasticity across multiple scales from the atomic to the organelle level using in situ cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET). We are especially interested in the mechanisms underlying ribosomal translation and the assembly of mitochondrial complexes in situ within mammalian cells. We are a highly collaborative group with close, active collaborations both nationally and internationally.
Some of our recent publications include PubMed PMIDs: 30240627, 32270040
We are committed to the career development of postdoctoral fellows. Candidates benefit from both the outstanding environment in the laboratory and the highly collaborative University of Pittsburgh community. The candidate will be given opportunities to present their research work at national and international scientific meetings, work on translational and basic research projects, will be encouraged to apply to prestigious postdoctoral fellowships and grants and network with members of academia and industry to facilitate a pathway to independence.

The candidate will be offered highly competitive salary and fringe benefits as per University of Pittsburgh policy.
Our laboratory is well-funded by NIH, DoD, and foundation grants and is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. We are in one of the most vibrant communities of basic scientists in the country, based both at the University of Pittsburgh and the neighboring Carnegie Mellon University. Being in a large academic medical center, the laboratory has an established network of collaborators working in both basic biology and translational research. The laboratory also benefits from being centrally located in Pittsburgh, one of the fastest growing, culturally rich yet affordable cities in the United States.

Qualifications:
We invite enthusiastic, ambitious candidates with a productive training record, strong research motivation, and experience in computer science. Expertise in image analysis and 3D molecular reconstructions, especially in the contexts of cryo-EM and cryo-ET, is encouraged but not required. Successful candidates will work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary research program that integrates cell biology, and cutting-edge light and EM imaging and computation and translates it to better understanding neurobiological diseases.
Interested candidates should send their CV, a one-page summary of their past research and future research interests, and the contact information for 2-3 references directly to Dr. Freyberg:
Zachary Freyberg M.D., Ph.D.
Email: freyberg at pitt.edu<mailto:freyberg at pitt.edu>
Warm regards,
Zachary Freyberg MD, PhD