[3dem] Postdoc position in the Pigino Lab, Structural Biology Research Centre @ Human Technopole

Gaia Pigino gaia.pigino at fht.org
Wed May 11 11:45:31 PDT 2022

Hi fans of microscopy, microtubule and cilia biology,

we are excited to have an ERC funded Postdoc position available in the Pigino Lab!
The person we are looking for will be investigating how the tubulin code regulates cilia assembly, transport and mechanics. This will be carried out in our diverse and really fun lab at Human Technopole that brings together a lot of cilia, cell biology, (expansion) FM, and cryo-EM expertise.

Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian Government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. HT is composed of five Centres: Computational Biology, Structural Biology, Genomics, Neurogenomics and Health Data Science. The Centres work together to enable interdisciplinary research and to create an open, collaborative environment that will help promote life science research both nationally and internationally.

Our Lab, in the Centre for Structural Biology, works right at the interface between structural and molecular cell biology, and combines the latest methodologies from the respective fields. Virtually all projects in the lab have a focus on cryo-electron microscopy, correlative light and electron microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, and 3D image processing.
These techniques help us to study the structure and function of cellular machineries with a specific focus on cilia and flagella, ubiquitous eukaryotic organelles with fundamental motility, signalling and sensing functions.
Our overarching goal is to obtain mechanistic understanding of the molecular processes and machineries that are responsible for the function of cilia and for their assembly.

At HT, we have access to state-of-the-art equipment through our Core Facilities, including the Light Imaging Facility and Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility.
The successful candidate will have access to a Zeiss LSM980 (confocal with Airyscan2), Zeiss LSM980-NLO (confocal and multiphoton with Airyscan2), Zeiss Elyra7 (lattice structured illumination), Nikon Ti2 with Crest spinning disk and TIRF equipped with 4 cameras, a FRAP modules, and 2 micromanipulators and will receive training and hence become an independent user of the equipment present in the Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility (humantechnopole.it/en/facilities/cryo-electron-microscopy-facility/), i.e. Leica Thunder and Stellaris for cryo-CLEM, the Thermo Scientific 300keV Titan Krios, 200keV Glacios, 120keV Talos, cryo-SEM-FIB-milling Aquilos-2, and a 300keV room temperature STEM Spectra.

The position we are hiring for is meant to study how the ciliary tubulin code is established during cilia assembly and how tubulin post translational modifications contribute to the regulation of cilia assembly, Intraflagellar transport (IFT) and ciliary beating. For this, we propose to use motile cilia from unicellular model organisms such as Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and primary cilia from cell lines and cells derived from from human organs, e.g. the pancreas or kidneys.

If you're interested, please apply here:
careers.humantechnopole.it/o/postdoc-position-gaia-pigino-lab

Deadline: May 29th, 2022

The position is available immediately and we are looking forward to start working with you soon!

Best,
Gaia

Gaia Pigino
Associate Head of Structural Biology Research Centre
Pigino Group,
Structural Biology Research Centre
Human Technopole
Palazzo Italia
Viale Rita Levi-Montalcini, 1
20157 Milan, Italy
T. +39 02-30247446
M. +39 340 321 5362
E. gaia.pigino at fht.org
Prima di stampare questa e-mail, pensa all’ambiente.
Before printing this e-mail, think of the environment
Legal Disclaimer
The information contained in or accompanying this email and any attachment thereto, is intended solely for the use of the stated recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment by anyone who is not the stated recipient is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment from your system without retaining a copy.