[3dem] Operating system for local server environment

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Tue May 10 19:05:32 PDT 2022

Hi Christian,

We like Alma Linux as a replacement for CentOS. It's essentially identical to CentOS 8 and the GUI is even nicer. I had no problems with nvidia drivers (just needs the usual nouveau driver deactivation). We are now running it on a 2 workstations and a GPU server with 7 GPUs. Will switch over all our other workstations eventually.

I didn't find Rocky as nice. Never really liked Ubuntu that much. Fedora gets updated too often, IMO.

Best,
   Matthias