[3dem] TEM cryo holders for 2+ grids - follow up

Adam Schröfel adam.schrofel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:53:14 PST 2022

Hello everyone,
I know there was a discussion about 2 grid cryo TEM holders relatively
recently. Since we are going to order one relatively soon, I would like to
once more reflect the current user experience. We are thinking for sure
about 2 grid holders for our JEM2100+ (no autogrids) for shorter screening
or longer (overnight) data collection leading to 2D classes.
We have three candidates:
Gatan Elsa (special request for 2 grids)
Simple Origin holder Model 2XX
Gatan 910 cryo holder for 3 grids

First of all, I've never heard about anybody having a 910 holder, is it
reliable, stable? I would maybe sacrifice the longer collection time for
higher throughput but not for the drift and stability.
Does anybody use Elsa for two grids or a Simple Origin holder on a Jeol
microscope?
How does the clipping mechanism work? It clips both grids together which
seems a bit too harsh especially for the grid closer to the hinge (which
gets the contact first).
How is the overall stability/drift in comparison to the single grid holders
(we are so far quite satisfied with our current Gatan 626 holder and its
performance).

Thanks for all the replies and comments and sorry for raising this topic
again!

Best regards

Adam

--

*Adam Schröfel*

Department of Cell Biology | Biocev

Charles University

Prumyslova 595, 252 50 Vestec

Prague West, Czech Republic

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.rozbeskylab.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=FHlpDtaJnpY5o74BRBVnQ11JiBhPFFkKl7a7sO78W4RiVtC3mTD7_8e66j2Z5v38&s=N2na_fi_KcwvFb34q5JUKv6hkgbdRFkoZH0qXyifvFQ&e=