[3dem] Map of Cryo-EM Worldwide

Alex Noble anoble at nysbc.org
Mon Jul 25 12:45:33 PDT 2022

Dear cool people,

The worldwide cryo-EM map has been significantly updated:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1eQ1r8BiDYfaK7D1S9EeFJEgkLggMyoaT&usp=sharing__;!!Mih3wA!A-v0ClSWmASGbic8138gFyEHAMg8svF0_h-_I0DSlHLeMSVkgB-1px4TkPGo89sfGMsLEe5DRM7qUjSHUQ$

(short URL: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tiny.cc/cryoem_map__;!!Mih3wA!A-v0ClSWmASGbic8138gFyEHAMg8svF0_h-_I0DSlHLeMSVkgB-1px4TkPGo89sfGMsLEe5DRM5ctHQG-w$ )

Updates include:

  *   All Krioses, Glacioses, and Arcticas have been identified to within ~5% error,
  *   A section called 'Cryo-EM tools & other scopes' has been added to catalogue other EMs like screening scopes and general equipment like plunge freezers and sputter coaters,
  *   Tundras have been added,
  *   200 more cryo-EM labs have been added.

I can use your help! I have the following requests:

  *   For some Krioses, Glacioses, and Arcticas, I only know the city they are in instead of their exact locations. If you know the exact locations for any of these, please email me.
  *   If you work at JEOL and have a list of sub-4 angstrom instruments (CryoARMs, 3200s, etc) to anonymously share with me, please email me.
  *   If you have a microscope on order that is not listed, especially Tundras, please email me.
  *   Feel free to email me a list of general cryo-EM equipment at your institute if it's not on the map already.
  *   Any missing instruments or labs, and general feedback of course!

With over 100,000 views, I think this map has been quite a successful project and will hopefully continue to be useful. Let's keep doing fun science in this awesome field! And let's not forget to always support each other - there are many more cryo-EM projects than there are people to do them.

Best wishes,
Alex Noble, SEMC