[3dem] the first TMC CryoEM discussion group seminar

Wang, Zhao zhaow at bcm.edu
Sat Jul 16 07:12:03 PDT 2022

Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the first TMC CryoEM discussion group seminar on July 29, 2022 via Zoom. The TMC CryoEM discussion group will focus on cryoEM/ET technic topics and will invite world-wide scientists to share their research experiences. The seminars will be held every two months. We also invite recipients of this email and share to friends and colleagues who are interested in the cryoEM/ET technology.

Fri, Jul 29 12:00-1:00pm central time |  Presenter: Yimo Han, Rice University

Rigestor link:
https://www.cryoet.net/event-details/the-first-tmc-cryoem-discussion-group-seminar <https://www.cryoet.net/event-details/the-first-tmc-cryoem-discussion-group-seminar>

Title: Advancing Transmission Electron Microscopy for Materials Science and Biology
Abstract
Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and its related techniques have become indispensable tools in uncovering the structure and subsequent properties/functions in materials/biomolecules. This presentation will discuss using and developing state-of-the-art TEM techniques to study nanomaterials, biomacromolecules, and their interfaces. The achievement of super high resolution (0.2 Å) in TEM will be discussed. Such achievement leads to unprecedented study of atomic structures in two-dimensional materials. In addition, a new diffraction technique (nano-beam 4D-STEM) that was developed in our group will be introduced. We have used this method to understand strain in materials. Finally, 2D materials, such as graphene, were able to assist the structural study of proteins in cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM). Using graphene covered cryo-EM grids, we successfully determined the highest resolution structure of the smallest protein via single-particle cryo-EM. The results also paved the way for new studies of nano-bio interfaces using cryo-EM.
Bio
Dr. Han is an assistant professor of Materials Science and NanoEngineering. She received her B.S. in Physics from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Cornell with Prof. David Muller. Her research focused on electron microscopy and the characterization of nanomaterials. After graduating from Cornell University, she joined Prof. Nieng Yan’s group in the Department of Molecular Biology at Princeton University to expand her knowledge on cryo-EM, as well as develop ways to utilize nanomaterials in biological characterization. Dr. Han started her own lab in the Department of Materials Science and NanoEngineering at Rice University in July 2020. Her group has a focus on developing novel TEM techniques to investigate nanomaterials and nano-bio interfaces.

Assistant Professor
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Co-Director of BCM CryoEM/ET Core
Adjunct assistant professor at MD Anderson
Baylor College of Medicine
BCM125, Alkek Building
office: (713)-798-3086
Houston, TX 77030