[3dem] contamination...leopard?

Tobias Furstenhaupt furstenh at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Jan 6 03:47:14 PST 2022

Dear all,

thanks alot to you all for your replies. I got a wealth of info and thoughts that I will follow up:

1) 20sec pumping time seems way too low (although working for the 626 holder reasonably well). We start to test 50sec and monitor the temperature of the tip.
2) at the sime time I will buy alternative O-Rings and exchange the ones from the holder (RT and Cryo) and see if this also has influence on the vacuum-crashes
3) I try to somehow measure the temperature of the Cryobox - It is imperative that the box is the coldest part in the microscope
4) last not least I will also check about the vacuum of the transferchamber during pumping and see if the turbo has problems or if we reach a reasonable vacuum around the holder after the 50sec.

#3 has to be done in close cooperation with FEI/TFS but in the end it would put everybodies mind at rest if we could read the temperature.

Probably we were too paranoid with our (only) 20sec pumping time. But as usual one is forced to revise the procedures once you get problems.

Thanks alot again for all your help - much appreciated and I guess we got a good handle now on our contamination problem :)

cheers
Tobias

Tobias Fürstenhaupt, PhD
head of Electron Microscopy
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG)
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden, Germany

phone: (+49) (0)351 / 210-2690
cell: (+49) (0)176 / 44498706 (NEW!)