[3dem] [External] Re: tilted transfer functions?

Philip Köck koeck at kth.se
Mon Feb 28 22:50:47 PST 2022

Hi.

There are two separate problems here.

The easier one is to simply determine the defocus in various positions of the specimen.

If you only want to work with small cut-outs (such as single particles) then you just use the normal CTF-correction with the local defocus. Others pointed to software that does that.

If you want to work with the image as a whole (for example for 2D crystals) the problem is more difficult. Essentially you don't have a CTF in that case (it's not a transfer function).

Look at the paper by Ansgar Philippsen (Ultramicroscopy 107 (2007) 202–212) if that's what you're after. Also check software for 2D crystallography, but I don't what is actually implemented.

All the best,

Philip