[3dem] FT artefacts from EPU .mrc files

Schenk, Andreas andreas.schenk at novartis.com
Thu Aug 4 01:42:55 PDT 2022

Hi James,

I have seen these artefacts as well when running Gctf on the EPU average mrc files.
I think Gctf doesn't properly interpret the extended mrc header in these files and reads it as pixel data instead.

You can run:
e2proc2d.py --outmode uint16 --outnorescale in.mrc out.mrc

to strip the extended header out of the mrc file.
The alternative would be to run gctf on the motion corrected averages in case you do dose fractionation in EPU.

Best regards,
Andreas