[3dem] CMOS detector for F20

Reinhard Rachel Reinhard.Rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Sep 22 00:17:11 PDT 2021

Hi Terje,

> The F20 will be used for negative stain/room temperature application,
> training, and some cryo-EM screening purposes, but I imagine most of our
data
> collection and cryo-EM screening will be on the Glacios. Nevertheless, we
> want a decent detector that is fast enough to do frame alignment and good
> enough to collect data for 2D classification etc. We are thinking of the
> Gatan OneView. I would welcome other suggestions with similar capabilties
> that fall into a similar price range.

sounds like you want to have the Glacios with both Falcon 3 and the K3?
hmm, I am not fully sure whether this makes sense. Yes, they are not the same.

One of them is ok to do all jobs ...
At the end, it might well be that the K3 does all the jobs you want .... on
the Glacios.
then, the Falcon 3 is redundant ....
the question is whether you can have the Falcon 3 to work on the F20?
it should be ok for neg.stain, RT applications, training, and screening,
shouldn't it?
If not: why did you buy it?

OK, if not: this means, a CMOS with fibre-optics.
 the typical items: TFS may have a CMOS with fibre-optics on offer ...
the TVIPS XF416 (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tvips.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ZyKU-c3skMVwTEl9KKoHOxBD1orJHMQvgFCqcqJbm24&s=_9ehIb3yT2LeM6qZWhsApfbLQPx0Wy83fLLi4_L2PQE&e= ; which I rank highest, among these CMOS/fibre
optic cameras)
else, the Ametek/Gatan OneView ... else, the Gatan Rio16 (again a 4k x 4k, a
bit cheaper than the OneView, though), which may do all the jobs.
and there are others, which I do not know personally, but which are found on
various TEM's.
e.g. the EMSIS products (some with fibreoptic, some with lens; just be aware),
and there are more, in particular on the US market, e.g. AMT.

it is a matter of quality and budget, and local distributor, and in particular
the embedding in your favourite software package, which your users want to use
(SerialEM? else?), and and and.
On the F20, the limiting item will be .... the sample ... whatever camera you
add on.
kind regards,
Reinhard

--
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rachel
University of Regensburg
mail reinhard.rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
office: VKL 3.1.29
member of the IFSM board

Next microscopy conferences:
- MC2023, DGE: 26.2.-2.3. 2023
- next European EM conf.: EMC2024 in Kopenhagen, August 2024
- IMC20 in Busan, South Korea: Sept, 2023
- next virtual Microbiol. conferences:  VAAM March 2022 Düsseldorf