[3dem] 3 x facility job opportunities University Leeds

Rebecca Thompson R.F.Thompson at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 10:11:52 PDT 2021

Dear all,

We have not one, not two but three (!) opportunities to join the facility team within the Astbury Biostructure Lab, University of Leeds. Deadline is 22nd September for all roles.

(Senior) CryoEM scientist<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.leeds.ac.uk_vacancy.aspx-3Fref-3DFBSAS1045&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ktdjZcyWzxOdhqO1VoLjAWTjIuMtPn8TtfnY-k8zUaw&s=G4msvfFQpAq64OxS703PTnEvkqr5fsT1G0M4QaNejSU&e= >- Ideal role for someone looking for a position with a breadth of responsibilities across a facility, from microscope management to user training. We are open to recruiting at different grades depending on your experience.

CryoEM scientist<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.leeds.ac.uk_vacancy.aspx-3Fref-3DFBSAS1047&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ktdjZcyWzxOdhqO1VoLjAWTjIuMtPn8TtfnY-k8zUaw&s=4n7uY9O0D_5JBanAdNE9sY8iZo7luZKGmdN6EaoonIQ&e= >- Embedded in the facility team and contributing to the day to day operations, this role will be particularly focused on assisting facility-led projects, including with external partners, from sample to structure.

Correlative Imaging Scientist<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.leeds.ac.uk_vacancy.aspx-3Fref-3DFBSAS1046&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ktdjZcyWzxOdhqO1VoLjAWTjIuMtPn8TtfnY-k8zUaw&s=OS44-dv2zWSb0aTmzzPB-6txZhHe6O-egVxoNN0GIrg&e= >-  to embed new methods for preparing and imaging imaging cells, tissues and organisms using (cryo)EM, ‘in situ’ structural biology and CLEM projects. This is a great role for someone with a love of all kinds of microscopy, a structural biologist with an unfulfilled love of cells, or a cell biologist with significant light microscopy experience who wants to delve into structural biology.

These role will join a team of 4.5 lovely individuals working within the electron microscopy facility team, where we support a diverse range of research from across the University and beyond. We have two Titan Krios microscopes (with F4/selectris and F4/K2), 3 other TEM’s and a fully stocked lab in terms of ancillary equipment (cell culture, four flavours of glow discharge/plasma cleaner, AKTA, high pressure freezer, freeze substitution (cryo) ultramicrotome, Leica cryoCLEM system).

Leeds is a fantastic city with a vibrant cultural and restaurant scene and easy access to the beautiful Yorkshire countryside for excellent cycling and hiking.

We are really excited to be advertising these roles and the direction of travel for our facility in this next period. We’d love to hear from you, so please do get in contact if you are interesting in applying.

Best wishes,
Becky

Rebecca Thompson (She/her)
Head of Faculty Biological Sciences Research Facilities
Deputy Director, Astbury Biostructure Laboratory Electron Microscopy

University of Leeds
Phone 0113 3433384/3438957 (Office/Titan Krios control room)
Mobile 07816179813
Location Roger Stevens 5.40
Linkedin<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_1rebeccathompson_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ktdjZcyWzxOdhqO1VoLjAWTjIuMtPn8TtfnY-k8zUaw&s=AB3W1s8pai3aie5Doyr3Q82-d9tTbP4itV65eOI1vu0&e= > Twitter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_Bex-5F16&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ktdjZcyWzxOdhqO1VoLjAWTjIuMtPn8TtfnY-k8zUaw&s=P2pafHjVgwesPnKSyKd0R_5yjCJEz6wS0iMs_-Cr86o&e= >

Sometimes I may send emails out of 'normal’ core working hours. I do not expect you to read, or respond outside of your own working hours