[3dem] Advice for hardware of compute nodes

Kilian Schnelle kilian.schnelle at uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu May 20 02:46:31 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking about which hardware to get for compute nodes mostly used for cryosparc and Relion with Sturm and would be glad if someone could give me an advice.

I was hovering over maybe something like the G292-Z43 servers from Gigabyte with 2-4 RTX 3090, 64-128 GB Ram and a NVMe SSD for cache. (Someone actually has experience with an exported NVMe SSD cache for all nodes? Worth over having one in every node?) I am not sure which CPU to get though I was thinking of:

- 2x AMD Epyc 7543 32c/64t, 2,8-3,7 GHz, 256 MB L3, ~3700$/each

Or higher frequency and less cores?

- 2x AMD Epyc 74F3 24c/48t, 3,2-4,0 GHz, 256 MB L3, ~2900$/each

Or even just a single socket CPU with a different server like the 7532P?(Would have to calculate the PCIe lanes I need for everything but, would PCIe 4.0 x8 or x16 for the GPUs even make a difference?, I mean its same as 3.0 x16 in throughput in theory)

- AMD Epyc 7543P 32c/64t, 2,8-3,7 GHz, 256 MB L3, ~2700$

Is it even worth going for the 256 MB L3 cache? Or is it worth going for Team Blue CPUs because of AVX 512?

Any insides would be highly appreciated.

Best wishes
Kilian