[3dem] beam blank versus beam shutter

Buecker, Robert robert.buecker at mpsd.mpg.de
Fri May 14 06:44:15 PDT 2021

Dear Tim,

the speed of the blanker varies a lot between TEMs and their configuration. On our TF20 STEM, where blanking is achieved by mis-adjusting the beam tilt, it was in the few seconds range (hence unusable for our ED experiments) originally. However, this was remedied by replacing a specific electronics board (with what is essentially a dummy plug) that filters the gun deflector currents, at the expense of somewhat reduced STEM resolution due to jitter. It is now of the order of 10 ms, so would be acceptable for your ED collection. We actually can trigger our Medipix detector from the shutter signal then, though mostly we go vice versa. Titans, on the other hand, have a dedicated beam blanker which is ms-range without influencing beam jitter or drift.
In our JEOL 2100 we get 10 ms or so by default, but pushed it to sub-µs using a custom electro-static blanker (which might be overkill for most use cases). There is also beautiful work by the Antwerp group on a fast magnetic blanker that sits on the C2 aperture (Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 093103).
That said, I see no real reason against well-engineered (that is, no magnetic stray fields, charging, long-term reliability…) mechanical shutters, even though I’d rather stick to magnetic or electric.

Cheers,
Robert

--
Dr. Robert Bücker
Centre for Structural Systems Biology // University of Hamburg