[3dem] cryo TEM holder for autogrids and ThermoFisher/FEI

Michael Elbaum michael.elbaum at weizmann.ac.il
Thu Jun 10 02:42:34 PDT 2021

Hi.

We had similar vacuum crashes on a Tecnai with the 626 holder. The problem was solved by replacing the o-rings. (I try to recall the source but don't have it yet.) It might be that the ELSA is a bit heavier and so more sensitive, but it's also possible that the original o-rings were not good. It's generally useful to check the o-ring under a dissecting microscope before cooling down. Sometimes you find strands of lint.

It's also possible to use autogrids in the 626 by inverting the clip ring like a top hat and pressing down. It centers perfectly and holds tight, but the edges of the grid are shadowed. Also it's not easy to get the grid back out if you imagine to reuse it. Keeping the dewar full overnight needs a separate solution, of course.

regards,

Michael