[3dem] Alok Mitra

Evangelina Nogales De La Morena enogales at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 14 18:31:48 PDT 2021

I am sorry to hear of these terrible news!

> On Jul 14, 2021, at 5:50 PM, Anchi Cheng <acheng at nysbc.org> wrote:
>
> Dear 3D-EM community,
>
> It is with great sadness that I heard that Alok Mitra passed away early in July.
>
> Alok, an X-ray crystallographer by training, was one of the early adopters of 3D structure determination using electron microscopy. From two-dimensional crystallography, to filament structure, to single particle analysis, he tackled them all.
>
> I was fortunate enough to be his first postdoc at what was then The Scripps Research Institute in 1995.  Alok was always kind and patient.  He was also passionate about the field, and rigorous about the work. Our countless discussions on what our 6 Å aquaporin-1 structure meant are some of my favorite moments in science.
>
> After he moved to the University of Auckand, New Zealand, he continued to contribute to the field and guided many students and postdocs.  Many of us remain in the 3DEM field, a tribute to his mentorship.
>
> Alok’s generosity and energy for his work did not change. I was told that he still spoke enthusiastically about the papers he was working on, his research, and how proud he was of his students and members of his lab, even to the last days of his illness.
>
> I will certainly miss him as will so many in our community.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Anchi Cheng
>
> Senior Staff Scientist
>
> Simons Electron Microscopy Center
>
> New York Structural Biology Center

Eva Nogales
Professor of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Structural Biology
Molecular and Cell Biology Department, UC Berkeley
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Senior Faculty Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
(510)642-0557
enogales at lbl.gov

Assistant: Jocelyn Antonio, jantonio at berkeley.edu, (510)666-3334