[3dem] Another RAID in K3 PC

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Tue Jan 12 06:51:36 PST 2021

Hi Hisashi,

I have recently replaced (last Nov) the original 8x 240 GB SSD provided by Gatan with 8 of these 2 TB SSDs
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.co.jp/Transcend-**E2-5**H-SATA3-0-**BPS4**Q-TS2TSSD220Q/dp/B08HYVKFNY/__;5YaF6JS144Kk44Oz44OB44CQ5YuV5L2c56K66KqN5riI44CR!!Mih3wA!QHzBAunMST3X-5WgrkIr7wJcy_aX2S7smD9F6a3ZzZCkagJvfZIXxJe2dR5hGuUc7A$
They cost about US $200 each.

Replacement is trivial. In the LSI Megaraid storage manager app double click on your host name, login (username is typically Administrator, password [your password]). In the "logical" tab delete the virtual drive with the 8-drive RAID0 array. Shut down the PC. You can then simply pull out the external drawers with the existing SSD drives, pop off their top covers and take them out (there is a simple screw-less plastic securing mechanism, you'll figure it out), then replace them one by one with the new drives and slide them back in. Order does not matter.
After powering up again, go back into Megaraid, make sure you see all new drives and create a new virtual RAID0 volume from the "dashboard" ("new virtual drive"). I think there is a "wizard" that walks you through it, it's easy. I believe I also enabled SSD caching in the advanced options, but this may not be necessary. Assign the drive letter to the new volume in Windows disk manager.

Ours was 14.5 TB after formatting with NTFS. Share the drive on the K2 PC and map the network drive again on the Microscope PC. Write performance is no problem even at full frame rate super-res.

Cheers!
   Matthias