[3dem] Postdoctoral position in structural biology, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Marjetka Podobnik marjetka.podobnik at ki.si
Mon Feb 22 03:33:21 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

A postdoctoral position is available in the Department of Molecular Biology and Nanobiotechnology. We are looking for an individual with excellent expertise in cryo-electron microscopy (especially in SPA, but cryo-ET and/or microED are a bonus) to contribute to our ongoing projects. The department focuses on biochemical, biophysical and structural studies of biological molecules and their interactions to understand molecular mechanisms of action. Research topics in the department range from the study of molecular mechanisms of lipid membrane disruption induced by pore forming proteins, development of protein nanopores for their application in biotechnology and medicine, structure-function and mechanism of action of virulence factors of the pathogenic bacterium Listeria monocytogenes, structural insights into the pathogenicity of filamentous plant viruses and the synthetic biology of virus-like particles, to the mechanism of DNA- repair and the role of ribosomes in disease states. More on Department: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ki.si/en/departments/d11-department-of-molecular-biology-and-nanobiotechnology/__;!!Mih3wA!VDuifyP5l66NZBbwwAIVb6jp4aZb5IvcD1jxJKwaZenrV59cBaZfmFEQ_h5ZhP5wVA$

The National Institute of Chemistry (Ljubljana, Slovenia) is a scientifically excellent, established and breakthrough research institution based in Central Europe. Through our cutting-edge research, we enrich the global body of knowledge by solving society’s most pressing challenges, including: health, sustainable energy, climate change, circular economy and safe food. Our research goals push the boundaries of science and create new value. We successfully transfer knowledge to industry and support the long- term role of science in the development of society. The Institute builds its scientific excellence by collaborating with the best global research institutions, groups and individuals. We are members of international multidisciplinary research networks. We provide a stimulating environment and an open learning space where young researchers can develop their curiosity and realise their research creativity. In doing so, we ensure that future generations benefit from the profession. More here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ki.si/en/__;!!Mih3wA!VDuifyP5l66NZBbwwAIVb6jp4aZb5IvcD1jxJKwaZenrV59cBaZfmFEQ_h589SbQ-A$

Start date and duration: ideally May 1, 2021, negotiable. The position is initially for 1 year with the possibility of extension. During this time, the candidate will be expected to contribute to ongoing projects and will have the opportunity (and be strongly encouraged) to apply for their own fellowship/grant to continue research in the department after this first year, with help on proposals provided by the Institute’s highly experienced grant office.

Requirements: PhD in biochemistry/biophysics or structural biology. Excellent knowledge and practical experience in cryo-electron microscopy (especially SPA; cryo-ET, micro-ED or X-ray crystallography is a bonus). In accordance with the given career stage, the candidate should demonstrate creativity, independence and scientific quality as well as provide evidence on published articles in the relevant field. Good English language – spoken and written is required, and motivated individuals with collaborative mindset.

We might be a small institute in a small country – but we think big!
Please see more in the attachment.

Kind regards,
Marjetka

Dr. Marjetka Podobnik, Assoc. Prof.
Head Department of Molecular Biology and Nanobiotechnology
National Institute of Chemistry
Hajdrihova 19
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phone:00386 1 476 0372