[3dem] PostDoc position in Method Development for Cryo-EM

Henning Stahlberg henning.stahlberg at icloud.com
Sun Dec 5 04:27:24 PST 2021

Hi,

We have a postdoc opening in our lab for method development for Cryo-EM.
The center of this research is a Titan Krios 300kV Cold-FEG instrument with a GHz RF cavity below the gun, followed by a probe Cs corrector. Data will be collected on a FalconIV detector or a very high frame-rate hybrid pixel detector.
This instrument invites for experiments, using GHz single electron illumination onto the cryo sample, in order to reduce the beam damage in otherwise conventional single particle cryo-EM with data collection on a FalconIV detector. A separate project is to develop single molecule electron diffraction, similar to but different than ptychography or 4D STEM, exploiting phase contrast in diffraction mode and collecting dose-fractionated electron diffraction as full frames at very high frame rates.
This project is part of a collaborative network with TFS and researchers at the EPFL and other institutes in Switzerland.

Candidates should have experience in high-resolution electron microscopy and a Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Life Sciences or related disciplines.

The EPFL ranks among the world’s top scientific universities. It is located in Lausanne in Switzerland, a beautiful, vibrant and highly international city on the shores of scenic Lake Geneva, situated within an Alpine setting in the heart of Europe. French is the main language spoken in the city of Lausanne, while English is the main language at the EPFL and in our laboratory. The position comes with a competitive salary. EPFL is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.

The successful postdoc will join a vibrant, collaborative, international, and diverse research team with interdisciplinary expertise in biology, physics, computer science and engineering. Our lab in the Institute of Physics at the EPFL operates outstanding equipment. We develop methods in cryo-EM and apply these to study neurodegeneration. In addition, the Dubochet Center for Imaging in Lausanne provides access to frontier cryo-EM, including another two Titan Krios instruments.

The position is available immediately, the start date is flexible.

Applications should include PDF documents with a Cover letter, CV, the contact information of three references.

For questions or additional information, please contact Henning Stahlberg at mailto:henning.stahlberg at epfl.ch

Henning Stahlberg
Dept. of Fundamental Microbiology, University of Lausanne, and
Lab. of Biological Electron Microscopy, Inst. of Physics, SB, EPFL
Cubotron, BSP421
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
mailto:henning.stahlberg at epfl.ch
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lbem.epfl.ch&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ak__IR5EsPSVuPucJZ-KBk4xRwFjD6pyWJ46gaUljWA5slgHzYnI84oacfDVk9-d&s=X1n8rpzseiUsBbZU8H-uGfJw8i7WQIOHdtFdTfP15_I&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dci-2Dlausanne.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=ak__IR5EsPSVuPucJZ-KBk4xRwFjD6pyWJ46gaUljWA5slgHzYnI84oacfDVk9-d&s=7m7ZaWzQ4GumjhRJww2aUaKJvTytLgk3y_seo-YerOE&e=