[3dem] [ccpem] cryo-EM

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:34:45 PDT 2021

Dear Teige and others

To understand the phase contrast principles (and many other basic
principles in Cryo-EM) you may want to look at my phase-contrast  lecture
notes and other goodies at our single-particle website
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.singleparticles.org_methodology.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=J_-fFfmsY8jwoTP-j3WdgXQgr2qj5-wexg1J2iTNpK4&s=GzOyQ06zZDZKKp-we94_RAUiOGD9ENo11iqft4YzeP4&e= . Adding microns to the path
of the electrons in underfocus versus overfocus is not really relevant
since all that counts are the path (phase) differences, not  their absolute
value.

I noticed that there is an updated version of this phase-contrast document
that apparently has not yet made it to the site.  There is also one or
maybe more YouTube movies on the phase contrast issue. just search for it.
There certainly is an old one where I start in Portuguese but then switch
to English soon (so don't be shocked).

In terms of the linguistics issue that started off this discussion I prefer
"cryogenic electron microscopy" (abbreviated to cryo-EM).  Of course, if
you prefer constructs like "super-resolution light cryo-microscopy", or
"atomic-force cryo-microscopy" or "electron phase-contrast
cryo-microscopy", be my guest.
Cheers,
Marin