[3dem] correspondance between protein populations in solution and on the grid?

vincent Chaptal vincent.chaptal at ibcp.fr
Tue Aug 10 06:04:01 PDT 2021

Hi,

when performing enzymatic assays, we look at triplicates and we can
observe some degree of variation between experimental triplicates (also
between biological triplicates but no exactly the topic is this
question). Sometimes, I even wonder how homogeneous my purified protein
is in the tube, and if I pipet a true homogeneous solution.

When we observe the same solution under the microscope, is it the same
population of particles in 2D/3D classes and in the test tube?
If we see 40% of conformation A, and 60% of conformation B in
initial/crude 3D classification, can we make the claim that it
represents the actual population as in lipuid?
I was also wondering if conformation A and B would enter foilholes
similarly or if some conformations enter holes more preferentially?

I couldn't find litterature on the matter, but I image it's been looked
at; could you point me to the right refences?

This discussion on micro-domains in solution, or micro-concentration of
particles in liquid, becomes more vivid when using pico-liters type of
deposition on grids as we see coming (spotiton, etc...). Should we then
collect 3 grids to link to structural enzymology?

Looking forward to your comments.
Best
Vincent

--

Vincent Chaptal, PhD

Director of GdR APPICOM

Drug Resistance and Membrane Proteins Lab

MMSB -UMR5086

7 passage du Vercors

69007 LYON

FRANCE

+33 4 37 65 29 01

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.appicom.cnrs.fr&d=DwICaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=qrt2reBNwFsAVKl8vw75LCHg-wJUzh2f0l8AbUbjYMU&s=D4e4wIyVRpIAoUnMB_OQnn1FTcxriRAj2xlohCaWC-I&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mmsb.cnrs.fr_en_&d=DwICaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=qrt2reBNwFsAVKl8vw75LCHg-wJUzh2f0l8AbUbjYMU&s=dHx-_VFkG1dS-Xdza6TSpFoT0G73e67P-UeiCIu6B34&e=