[3dem] Senior Scientist - Microscope Manager position available in San Diego, CA

Jeff Speir jspeir at nanoimagingservices.com
Wed Apr 28 17:05:06 PDT 2021

Hi Everyone!

We have an exciting opportunity to join our growing company and help us analyze some of the most interesting and challenging samples being pursued in drug discovery.  Please see the job description below.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Jeff

Jeffrey A. Speir, Ph.D.
General Manager, Director of Operations
NanoImaging Services, Inc.
4940 Carroll Canyon Road, Suite 115
San Diego, CA 92121
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.nanoimagingservices.com__;!!Mih3wA!RUoVXJ4EXneQmC-UycNeZLv0q2PomsUjS3-7Cqqznt3a8AZBjA3ctIFC2xrO_-xL6g$  <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.nanoimagingservices.com/__;!!Mih3wA!RUoVXJ4EXneQmC-UycNeZLv0q2PomsUjS3-7Cqqznt3a8AZBjA3ctIFC2xoNwGOyxA$ >
recruiting at nimgs.com <mailto:recruiting at nimgs.com>

—————

Senior Scientist - Microscope Manager
Nanoimaging Services is the global leader in cryo transmission electron microscopy services. Our services are designed to meet the specific imaging, analysis and documentation requirements of the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and nanotechnology industries.

NIS is unique in its capability of providing high resolution protein structure determination services by the CryoEM method using advanced in-house microscopes. We work with a broad client base through access modes that include fee-for-service, bulk microscope access and training-centered partnership programs to deliver best-in-class results for drug discovery and development.

In joining NIS, you will become a key member of a highly talented, dedicated team of scientists that is pushing boundaries in structural biology:

·       to deliver exceptional value to our clients

·       to drive CryoEM adoption

·       to enable expanded structural support for the most challenging of targets in drug discovery and development

We are currently looking for a Senior Scientist - Microscopy / Microscope Manager at our San Diego, CA location.

Interested individuals are encouraged to send a resume, with a cover letter, containing information on their education, employment history, a minimum of three references, and any other relevant achievements to recruiting at nimgs.com.  Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

As Senior Scientist - Microscopy:

-       Electron microscopy data collection, analysis, and pre-processing (sample intake, sample preparation, grid preparation, grid screening and evaluation, setting up data collection, setting up data pre-processing).  All steps need to be documented following established protocols and recorded using our internal database.

-       Training, assisting and coordinating junior microscopists

-       Training members of our partnerships program in sample preparation and data collection and processing

As Microscope Manager:

-       Maintaining the microscopes in optimal working condition - monitoring data quality/alignments, and ensuring the facility is appropriately stocked to run projects

-       Proactively design and implement improvements in the workflow to improve speed, quality and reliability of data collection

-       Maintaining good relationships and organization with service engineers and our IT team, altering them to possible issues and scheduling maintenance and repairs

-       Working closely with the site leadership for microscope scheduling and management

-       Providing operational support to the facility, including overseeing and maintaining ancillary equipment (e.g. DH room, vitrification robots, analytical instruments, BSL-2 cabinet, freezers), supporting laboratory organization, and ensuring compliance with documentation requirements

-       Assisting with planning and executing facility updates and addressing future needs

 Minimum experience:

-       A Masters or PhD degree in Structural Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering or a related area in life sciences

-       A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in cryoEM analysis of biological molecules

-       Hands-on experience in operation of a Vitrobot, manual plunger and/or other related equipment in biological electron microscopy

-       Hands-on experience in operation of electron microscopes for image collection preferably Titan Krios, Glacios and Tecnai microscopes

-       Experience in high resolution cryoEM

-       Hands-on experience in usage of cryoEM software for automated image collection

-       Experience managing a lab/facility is a plus

-       Skills in working and communicating with colleagues at all levels

-       Ability in working on multiple challenging tasks in a rapidly-paced environment